Fair Wisconsin’s task forces strengthen our efforts to achieve full equality by engaging key stakeholders and our members, both individuals and allied organizations, around key LGBT community and intersectional issues.
Our current task forces include T-fair, Faith Task Force, and LGBTQ Youth Homelessness Task Force.
A statewide trans* advocacy coalition
T-fair is a statewide task force led by Fair Wisconsin that seeks to build a more trans*- inclusive movement for equality by bringing transgender and gender non-conforming leaders, activists, significant others, friends, families and allies together from around the state to play an active role in Fair Wisconsin’s educational and advocacy efforts on issues related to gender identity and expression. Current organizational partners include Diverse and Resilient, FORGE, LGBT Center of SE Wisconsin and PFLAG Wisconsin.
Building support for the passage of greater legal protections for transgender people and their families at the state and local level.
The purpose of T-fair is to educate both the public and policy makers about the harms of discrimination in order to move toward an environment where passage of greater legal protections for transgender people and their families will be possible.
T-fair will accomplish this by increasing public awareness about the unique harms of discrimination that are faced daily by transgender people in critical aspects of their lives, leading to greater understanding of the legitimacy of the transgender, gender non-conforming and genderqueer experience, allowing people to live authentically and free from discrimination.
Increasing trans* activism and visibility.
By increasing trans*, including transgender, gender non-conforming and genderqueer people, in the Fair Wisconsin membership, the capacity of Fair Wisconsin to advance gender-inclusive nondiscrimination protections at the state and local level will be increased exponentially. T-fair will focus on:
- Providing invaluable information, advice and insight to FW staff on issues of gender identity and expression and the unique challenges faced by the transgender community, and advising on transgender programming and recruitment for the Annual Leadership Conference.
- Connecting a network of activists who want to get involved with specific local initiatives, such as passing gender-inclusive non-discrimination ordinances.
- Serving as a portal for anyone who wants to know more about and get involved with Fair Wisconsin’s education and advocacy efforts, and to find resources for transgender, gender non-conforming and genderqueer people and their significant others, friends, families and allies.
To learn more about T-fair or to become an activist member, please contact [email protected].
Faith Task Force
A statewide network of pro-fairness faith leaders and congregants
Fair Wisconsin’s Faith Task Force is a statewide effort that seeks to engage people of faith in supporting LGBT equality and connect LGBT people to a welcoming center of faith. This task force is a continuation of Equality Wisconsin’s Voices of Faith program that successfully highlighted the role of faith leaders in advancing LGBT equality.
Expressing support for LGBT equality in faith communities.
Engaging faith communities is critical in our efforts to both demonstrate the depth and breadth of support that LGBT people now have in Wisconsin, as well as counter the anti-equality positions of our opposition. By lifting up the voices of people of faith, we have an opportunity to not just pass laws that positively impact LGBT people and our families, but also transform our state into a place where LGBT people can thrive.
Expanding the reach of the LGBT equality movement.
Fair Wisconsin’s work in faith communities has included addressing congregations about the state of LGBT equality, partnering with congregations to provide LGBT programming, and supporting the work of congregants to enact open and affirming policies.
Equality Wisconsin, with whom we merged in 2013, had a long history of working in communities of faith through the Voices of Faith program. We are excited to continue this tradition post-merger and leverage the opportunity to create a deeper linkage with faith communities to our broader work in advocating for LGBT equality.
Through this task force, Fair Wisconsin will:
- Continue the Fair Wisconsin and Equality Wisconsin tradition of working directly with congregations to understand the importance of becoming an open and affirming place of worship.
- Provide tailored programming to engage congregations in the broader LGBT equality movement, including a specific focus on volunteerism and regional Coffee & Faith events and trainings.
- Incorporate faith leaders into our state and local advocacy efforts on an ongoing basis and as a rapid response team to counteract the use of faith to ostracize LGBT people and their families.
- Leverage the Wisconsin LGBT Leadership Conference to provide a forum for cross-denominational dialogue about what faith leaders and congregants can do to support LGBT people in Wisconsin.
To learn more about Voices of Faith, please contact [email protected].